Frequently Asked Questions
- Regular City Council meetings are held at 5:30 p.m. on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month at City Hall, 401 4th Street.
- Individuals interested in employment with the City of Sergeant Bluff can review current job openings and/or complete our employment application which are located on the Human Resources page.
- Birthday or anniversary messages can be displayed on the Community sign at no charge. Please contact Don Wood by phone: 712-943-5821 or by email: email@example.com and leave a message with the details. *Note this service cannot be used for advertisements.
- The City strives to mail utility billing statements on the first of every month. Utility payments are due by the 20th of the month. Payment methods include ACH and eBilling. For more information, visit the Municipal Utilities page under Departments on the City's website.
We are pleased to announce that we are able to take payments online, over the phone, and via debit or credit cards through our payment service provider, PSN (Payment Service Network). Cash, personal check, and money orders are always accepted. *Please do not make a CASH payment through the Payment Drop Box.
- There are two ways that Sergeant Bluff residents can dispose of yard waste. (1) The City Compost Site located on Ridge Road, just off of South Lewis Blvd to the east, at the north edge of town is available from April through November, on Wednesdays 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm and on Saturdays from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. You may haul your yard waste to the site during open hours.(2) Yard Waste Tags are available at City Hall for $2.65 each. Place your yard waste in yard/garbage bag and attach one Yard Waste Tag per yard/garbage bag. The yard waste will be picked up on your regular garbage pickup day. *Please keep in mind that pickup days may be delayed due to holidays.
- You may contact either Parks & Rec Director Brent Brown or Rec Coordinator Aaron Hughes at 943-5800.
- As of the last Census, the current population of the City of Sergeant Bluff is 4,227 people.
- The City of Sergeant Bluff has partnered with Sioux City Transit to provide public transportation to certain areas of the City. For more information, click here.
- Vendors who are interested in selling products and services to the City can find the requirements and opportunities from the Finance Department. Learn more here.
- You can obtain a library card at the Sergeant Bluff City Library at 903 Topaz Drive next to the Sergeant Bluff Community Center. Call 943-2160 or 943-8799 if you have questions. Library Page
- The due date is the 20th of each month.
Utility bills are mailed out monthly, the first of every month. Payment is due by the 20th of each month unless the 20th falls on a Saturday, in which case, payment is due on Friday. If the 20th falls on a Sunday, the payment is due the next business day following the 20th, in which case is Monday.
The resident will be assessed a penalty of $5.00 for water, $5.00 for sewer and 1 1/2% to all services if not paid on or before the 20th. All past due accounts are subject to disconnection after 12 days from the due date. We are NOT responsible for U.S. Delivery. Failure to receive bill, does not excuse payment. The City Council has passed an ordinance allowing for a $30.00 charge for each time a City staff member must deliver a "red tag" notice to your door. Red tag fees must be paid along with the past due amount to avoid disconnection of service.
A deposit shall be refunded after twelve consecutive months of prompt payment ( which may be eleven timely payments and one automatic forgiveness of late payment.) For refund purposes, the account shall be reviewed for prompt payment after twelve months of service following the making of the deposit and for each twelve-month interval terminating on the anniversary of the deposit. Upon termination of service, the deposit, less any unpaid utility bill of the customer, shall be reimbursed to the customer or other person who made the deposit requiring proper documentation.
Call City Hall to get the serial number of your cart, if not known. We will ask you to look around at any neighbors home in case they may have your cart. If you do not find the cart there is a $100 replacement cost for each lost cart. $50 will be given back if cart if found within 90 days, after that no refund will be assessed.