The city council meets at 5:30 pm the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at City Hall.
The Mayor is responsible for overseeing departments and executing policies, including:
- Assuring that all City services are delivered to the citizens of Sergeant Bluff in an effective, efficient, and equitable manner and in compliances with City Council policy
- Overseeing long-range planning and improvement of departmental management and service delivery
- Serving as a catalyst for developing community-wide goals and mobilizing the resources to attain them
- Serving as the primary outreach arm of the City government to other cities and other government entities
City Council Members
- Jon Winkel, Mayor Term Expires: January 2026
- Ron Hanson, Mayor Pro Tem Term Expires: January 2026
- Bill Gaukel Term Expires: January 2026
- Andrea Johnson Term Expires: January 2024
- Carol Clark Term Expires: January 2026
- Jim Linafelter Term Expires: January 2024
Sergeant Bluff is governed by a Mayor and City Council who are elected by the people of the City. The Mayor is elected to a 4-year term. The Mayor appoints the Mayor Pro Tem and the Police Chief. The Mayor is not a member of the Council and may not vote as a member of the Council. The Mayor Pro Tem performs the duties of the Mayor in cases of absence or inability to perform. The Mayor Pro Tem has the right to vote as a member of the Council. The Council consists of five members who serve 2 or 4-year terms. The Council, being the elected representative of the people, adopts all ordinances and resolutions and determines the general goals and policies of the City of Sergeant Bluff.